Both avid homebrewers with MBAs, LeAnn and Tara met after leaving their corporate jobs in tech and media to join the beer industry. Working together on a daily basis, their passions quickly aligned and they realized a shared vision: to create a totally different beer company that would expand the craft beer market.
After years of browsing beer aisles and visiting breweries, they found that despite the booming craft beer market, no breweries were actively trying to speak to customers like them. From confusing packaging and bearded bros with attitudes to dark, industrial taprooms, the male-dominated industry was lacking an approachable, inclusive perspective and voice.
Tara and LeAnn knew there was an opportunity to speak to a broader audience and launched TALEA, creating "easy-drinking beers, perhaps to replace that glass of rosé" (Florence Fabricant, The New York Times). TALEA's beers are at the intersection of high quality and low-bitterness with fruit-forward flavors; beers that you can comfortably share with your hard-seltzer and wine-drinking friends, or open with the most discerning beer connoisseur.
TALEA's flagship brewery and taproom opened in Williamsburg, Brooklyn in March 2021! Opening every day at 10am, the space is the perfect environment to enjoy coffee and "work from TALEA" or have a flight of beers with friends.
While serving in the Navy, LeAnn’s interest in craft beer sparked in San Diego, living just three blocks from Coronado Brewing Company’s taproom. She loved the neighbourhood vibe, the feeling of a "third place" where she could relax with friends after a long day, and was intrigued by the limitless possibilities of the brewing process. After the Navy, she pursued a career in corporate finance but never stopped dreaming about having a brewery of her own. She began homebrewing and left her corporate job to join a beer e-commerce start-up that ultimately brought her to NYC, where she serendipitously met Tara. Within three months of knowing each other, they had formed the LLC that is now TALEA Beer Co.
First Memorable Craft Beer:
Gordon Biersch Marzen
Sun Up Hazy IPA
Other Beer of Choice:
Bell’s Two Hearted
Growing up with parents who worked in wine importing and restaurant management, Tara developed a deep appreciation for beverage and hospitality. While earning her MBA, she took wine classes and worked at Wolffer Estate Vineyard. Her desire to bring the hospitality side of wineries to the beer world inspired her to start homebrewing while working in management consulting at PwC and marketing at The New York Times. She met LeAnn at Hopsy, a beer e-commerce start-up, where she led the customer experience team. Tara earned a BSBA from Bucknell University and an MBA from NYU Stern.
First Memorable Craft Beer:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Raspberry Crush Gose
Other Beer of Choice:
Suarez Family Crispy Little
Join our team
TALEA is looking for a hard-working and proactive teammate to fuel our wholesale growth. The Sales Rep will be responsible for working alongside key on- and off-premise accounts by growing sales and market share. This role will include maintaining key accounts, growing product distribution in existing and new accounts, display execution, samplings and promotions within New York. The Area Sales Rep will spend approximately 80% of their time in the field. Nights and weekends will be required on occasion.
You’ll be joining a growing company in its early stage, so be prepared to get your hands dirty and take on new challenges on the fly! We value autonomy, ambition, grit, and an insatiable desire to exceed expectations. If you’re looking for a fun, fast-paced, challenging opportunity, we’d love to hear from you.
- Call on existing and new accounts to obtain new distribution, execute promotional activity and increase market share
- Provide exceptional service to assigned accounts with the goal of becoming their craft beer consultant
- Work closely with our wholesale distributors, serving as the primary point of contact for sales opportunities or concerns; coordinate and conduct ride alongs with wholesaler reps on a regular basis
- Coordinate events and promotions to deliver greater brand awareness and increase sales
- Ensure proper merchandising of product and point-of-sale materials within area and according to our brand standards
- Identify field quality concerns and report using appropriate procedures
- Meet, and exceed, all monthly goals to maximize commission
- Utilize sales tools (KARMA & VIP) on a daily basis
- Compile and submit reports on assigned area and general market information to management team and wholesaler
- 2+ years of sales experience in the alcohol beverage industry; strong selling and negotiation skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Passionate about sales, outgoing, and excited about TALEA’s vision
- Eager and able to spend time at accounts and with buyers, often in the evenings and at times on weekends
- Self-motivated and the ability to work with a limited amount of direction; ability to work both independently and within a team to accomplish goals.
- Enthusiastic and comfortable working for an early-stage company in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to interface with various levels of management at both retail and wholesale
- Must be 21 years of age with a valid Driver’s License and a driving record free of any major violations in the last five years
- Hours and days will vary according to business need, and will include nights and weekends
- Occasionally travel will be required for offsite festivals, collaborations, or events
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 44 pound cases without assistance and maneuver 168 pound kegs safely and with proper body mechanics.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear.
- Regularly required to work in an out-of-office setting with long periods of sitting while driving, taking the bus or train (individually and as a passenger).
- This is a full-time, salaried role, eligible for commission
- Target annual compensation with commission is $65-85k, with potential to earn more
- Subsidized cell phone expense and transportation expense
- 50% healthcare coverage (medical, dental, vision) for employee and dependents
- 401k Matching
- 25 days of PTO accrued annually
- 4 months of paid Parental Leave
- 50% all retail items (including merch, wine, and beer)
- A drink on the house at the end of each day - you deserve it
Apply via Brewbound
Lead Brewer - Brooklyn, NY
As the first female and veteran-owned brewery in NYC, TALEA’s brewery and taproom in Williamsburg, Brooklyn opened in March 2021. With a 20 barrel brew house and 1 barrel pilot system, we brew crowd favorites as well as experimental small batch beers, all with the mission of creating easy-to-love beers for beer nerds and novices alike. Having been featured in publications such as The New York Times, Grub Street, Forbes, Business Insider, Thrillist, The Infatuation, Eater, Cheddar, Time Out, and more, TALEA is making a mark on the beer industry.
TALEA is looking for a brewer to join the team and contribute to all aspects of production from grain to glass. The ideal candidate is passionate about TALEA’s mission to diversify the people brewing and drinking craft beer by creating an inclusive brewery with totally different, easy-to-love beers. The quality, consistency, and creativity of our beers are of paramount importance. We are looking for a brewer to join our production as we rapidly scale in the coming years and aim to take our production operation to the next level.
As a member of the nimble TALEA team, you’ll be joining a growing company in its early stage and will report to the Head of Production, while working closely with the co-founders. We value autonomy, ambition, grit, and an insatiable desire to exceed expectations while making phenomenal beer.
- Contribute to all aspects of production, including brewing (often single-handedly), cellaring, packaging, recipe development, yeast management, and process improvement across the board.
- Manage, train, and develop junior brewing staff across all functions in the brewery
- Continually improve the quality, consistency, and efficiency of our brewing operations
- Develop and maintain a sensory program
- Develop and maintain SOPs across all brewing processes
- Plan and execute preventative maintenance
- Operate Wild Goose filling line when needed
- Continue to produce and improve upon TALEA’s signature beers while pushing the boundaries with new styles
- 5+ years of commercial brewing experience on at least a 10bbl system
- Willing and able to tackle any task, no matter how big or small
- Obsessed with quality control, cleanliness, documentation, and safety
- Has a positive, optimistic attitude and is professional and fun, especially in high-stress situations
- Is highly organized and an exceptional, proactive communicator. Has excellent time management skills and is self-motivated
- Must be willing and able to work a variable shift schedule that is dependent upon the operational needs of the brewery, which could include weekends, holidays, and nights
Considered a plus
- 5+ years of commercial brewing experience on at least a 20bbl system
- Experience working at a brewery producing at least 10k+ bbls per year
- 3+ years of management experience
- Experience with recipe development and experimentation; has knowledge of market trends and ability to create recipes capitalizing on those trends
- Forklift certified
- Experience with Wild Goose canning lines and GEA Centrifuges
- Estimated salary range: $70,000 - 85,000
Benefits and perks
- 25 days paid PTO
- 50% of medical, dental, vision insurance coverage
- 401k matching
- 4 months paid parental leave
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply, or apply through BevNet. Cover letters are highly encouraged.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.